This morning I dressed the girls in warm little sweaters and hats and headed off to the park. It was chilly even though it was almost 11:00. At the park there was another woman and her 5 children playing. Kenzie began playing and made friends with a girl close to her age. She was wearing a pink hat with a bow, a pink stripped coat, red shirt, blue jeans, and as always, her cowboy boots. The other woman had a son that I would guess to be about 7 or 8 years old. He asked his mother (while I stood right in front of him) quite loudly if Kenzie was a boy. His mother answered, yes. He asked, if he is a boy why is he waearing a pink hat. The mother responded by saying that he needed something to keep his head warm. I think I must have stood there with my mouth hanging open for about 5 minutes just staring at them. In the first place, she does NOT look like a boy! In the second place, if she was my oldest, WHY would I put a pink hat on her that fit her head? Lastly, all this was said loudly in my presence without acknowledging my existence. I know I'm oversensitive, especially about my children, I guess I just thought her gender was a little more obvious. I realize we live in a world where no longer does a color identify you as male or female but I asume most girls who are around 3 wear pink naturally. I would understand if she was wearing blue that she could be mistaken for a boy but I just thought it was a little rediculous. I'm done now.
haha maybe the mom is blind and they're just having an awkward blind-mom/seeing-child conversation. Kenzie for sure looks like a girl!! no worries!
ReplyDeleteWhat?! That's crazy!! Some people....
ReplyDeletebtw- one time I had Kami in a pink dress, pink bow, and covered in a pink blanket and a lady asked me if my baby was a girl or boy...
That happened to me once when Helen was a baby. She had a on pink onsie, pink pants, a pink bow/headband, and a pink blanket. Then someone at a restaurant asked me about my son. I'm sure my blank stare lasted a few minutes. Hello!?!?
ReplyDeleteSeriously! What is wrong people?! Girls wear pink! I've never, never seen a boy in pink before! ha ha. People.
ReplyDeletethat is sad...I think what is saddest is that she didn't even acknowledge you...grrr! I think she's a WAY cute girl!!
ReplyDeleteI would totally be bugged too. I was bugged even when it happened to Nathan when he was super little. He'd be in all blue and total boy looking outfit and someone would comment on my cute girls hair. I know his hair was longer than most boys and curly, but he still totally looked like a boy to me. Some people!!
ReplyDelete