Monday, September 28, 2009

True devastation

Well, it was Halle's (my niece) birthday party this past saturday and I learned what true loss was while we were there. Andrea (my sister) put up a bunch of helium balloons up for the party and they along with some shiny necklaces were the hit of the party. Kenzie really was having a good time with the balloons and decided to take hers out on the balcony porch. I have tried to explain to her before that with balloons you have to be careful because they can fly away but how do you really explain something like that to a 3 year old who has never experienced anything like that? So of course she let it go and the devastation that followed was something I have never seen anything like before! At first I thought she was injured because the last time she cried that horribly was when she sliced her finger open on a lid of a can of olives! So she showed me her balloon flying away into the sky and I couldn't help but laugh. I know it wasn't really funny but you know when kids look at you and ask you to do something no matter how crazy it is because they believe you can save them or help them no matter what the circumstances are? There was no way to help her understand that even though she could see it floating away there was nothing I could do. But man you should have seen the look on her face! The equivalent look would be if I was given a brand new charger and then somebody stole it and left it on the train tracks while I watched it get run over, smashed, explode and burn into a giant pile of charcoal. It was that horrible. It was so horrible that she insisted we leave. She had to go home NOW. She needed to pee and she would not use my sister's bathroom. I had to physically carry her to the toilet and she cried as I held her on the toilet. Poor girl. She eventually got over it. (especially after she got another balloon) Even though it was a sad thing for her, it makes me laugh. I don't know why. Maybe it is because it is just a balloon, but to her it was a brand new charger.

No comments:

Post a Comment