Thursday, September 2, 2010

Today is a blogworthy day because it is the 4th day I've been to school on campus as a full time student. I have now been to all my classes and....I'm exhausted! Some of the things that have run through my head since this journey began has been-'WHY didn't I do this BEFORE I had kids or at least several years ago when they were easier to babysit!' Other things have been, 'Wow, in 4 short years I've lost my sense of style, if I had any to begin with!' (General mom getup including T-shirts all the time, odd patterned shirts and of course jammie pants) I like to pretend that I'm not vain, and i'll be honest that I don't buy into all of the latest fashions but I do realize that it has been a long time since I've been self concious of my style. The biggest reason I've lost my fashion sense has been because my biggest critics have been my 4 year old and my husband-who seems to love me no matter what I'm wearing/not wearing.
Here is where I have to interject and say that I love my life at home. It cannot completely satisfy me because I've got to have a part of myself that isn't all mom and wife but it is the biggest and most satisfying part of my life. I'm glad I have my children and that I've been able to stay home with them. I am also glad that I'm going to school and learning that the more educated and whole I am as a person, the more I have to offer those babies.
School has been awesome and here are some of the reasons why:
1. Water aerobics-I have an obsession with water and aerobics in water! I don't know what it is, I just know I love it! (and I have a class on Tues and Thurs...Hooray!)
2. I am really enjoying being able to walk at MY pace. I turned into a slow walker after I had kids and I don't really enjoy that.
3.I have something to tell Isaac when he asked me what I did that day. I can tell him about the crazy guy in one of my classes or my homework! I did try and make my life eventful before school but I have to admit it just wasn't ever thrilling or exciting!
4. Riding the bus to my classes! This really has been fun and at times scary, but mostly fun!
5. I no longer struggle falling asleep.
6. I'm busy. Boredom is hard for me to handle. And when I say busy I mean busy with artsy stuff, not dishes and cleaning and cooking and diapers. A mom life is not glamorous.
7. I know I sort of mentioned this already but I really like having stories to tell. And here is one from today...
So it is really awkward when you first come and sit down in class during the first week of school because nobody knows each other (unless they went to high school together, which of course didn't happen for me). So I came early and sat down, one seat away from anyone, just like everyone else that came early and then those that come late have to choose a seat by someone until the room is full... Well I waited while the seats around me began to fill in and to my dismay two old friends sat on either side of me. I didn't really mind that part, but they proceeded to discuss their other classes, projects, photoshop, and every other subject in between that related to school. Using their hands flamboyantly they caught up real fast. I need to point out that the seats are really close together...I'm at least 6 inches away from these girls faces and their hands are more than in my comfort zone and their faces are inching closer as they try to converse around me. I sort of want to melt into my chair at this point. I try looking at the girls but that is awkward because I feel like I shouldn't be listening to their conversation but how can I not listen!?! My gaze follows every person that walks in, reading their t-shirts and whatever posters I can find (no posters)! I'm praying that they are almost done because can't they see how awkward this is!? I think about offering to switch them seats when suddenly, thank goodness, class starts. I sigh in relief and hope that class is a little less awkward.
My lesson for today-always sit on the end of the row.

8 comments:

  1. I have a lesson to add to that that I learned from the first day of class this year... Don't be late! There were no desks and so the teacher asked me to drag one from his office. I looked completely awkward and ridiculous trying to maneuver my book bag and my pregnant self around the classroom with a giant desk in my arms WHILE he was talking! I was 10 minutes early next class. :) Lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the first day really is SO awkward. I hope it gets better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri I so SO so miss you! Think of me while you are doing water aerobics! Those times of water aerobics together are some of my best memories... I miss you... Keep me posted on how everything is going, good luck with school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story about the two girls. That is so uncomfortable. You told the story so well though, it made me chuckle out loud. It made me think, you are a great story teller, I need to ask you for advice sometime on my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keri; I sure do like you! I too think you tell things so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the joys of first days! Sounds like you had your nice treats! Oh and by the way I think you have a nice sense of style, you've always looked cute no matter what you've worn! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I snorted out loud about you saying that Isaac loves whatever you are wearing or NOT wearing! HA HA! You know me though, with the girls, I would have totally butted in their conversation and made them feel the idiot for not realizing there was a body in between them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Keri. How I love you!!! This totally cracks me up. I love how well you can paint the picture in my head! You are fabulous. I wanna come sit by you in class! We'd have fun. Too much fun probably. And I totally love the comment about Isaac loves what you are AREN'T wearing! AWESOME!:) Hence what's coming in a few months???

    ReplyDelete