I just had to also throw out there today that Kenzie took a trip to the dentist where I held her down, she screamed at the top of her lungs for 30 m inutes straight, and the dentist filled one of her cavaties. He was a little miffed that I made them stop because lets face it, I'm not comfortable holding my daughter down while they work on her. I realize most kids are uncooperative at the dentist but I just don't think that I should have to hold her down while she is in panic mode and being forced against her will to have her teeth drilled. I owe her a lot more, I should have known to take better care of her teeth. I will do better for Chloe than I did by Kenzie. But it isn't like they hand out information at the hospital on how to avoid getting cavaties in your infant's teeth. Anyway, I came out a little angry, not because I had to hold her down while they worked on her, angry because they tried to manipulate me and make me feel guilty for finally saying stop. I hate that authority figures who don't have the last say in the matter make me feel guilty for not going their way when I don't agree with it. I went to the front to make another appointment with the receptionist (to finish working on another tooth) and she tried to make me feel like I was wrong. She tried to tell me that this happens everywhere and that some pediatric offices have straps to hold the kids in. (they are much more humane for not investing the straps) I am sure there are offices out there like that, but I don't care to go to them or feel pressured to do that. I am not wrong for telling the dentist 'stop, my kid has had enough of you prying her mouth open'. Under the guise of doing the better thing for my child, fixing a tooth, he has tried to make me wrong for not letting him proceed to frighten her and hold her down. By the way, he never informed me that he was going to keep proceeding if she didn't want to. If I didn't hold her down, the hygenist would.
I hate the dentist now.
I also hate that I don't feel strong enough to tell that man he has a lot of nerve and that he is wrong. I wish I was stronger.
So that made my morning a little frustrating, then I had a little adventure while getting my drivers license.
Oh yeah, Kenzie just pooped her pants because she is sick. And Chloe is apparently sick too.
The day isn't over yet, unfortunately.
I HATE dentists! With every fiber of my being. The teeth the "fix" are the ones that I can no longer eat on because they are cold/hot sensitive...I'm sorry...:(
ReplyDeleteThat is awful. I am so sorry. Helen has her first appt this week. My mom said they have a lot of kids come into surgery just to have cavities filled. Hope things are better and you have better luck next time.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry Keri! Koen is TERRIFIED of Doctors...last May we had to admit him to the hospital and he was so sick it took them like 3-4 hours to get his IV started...it was AWFUL...have you thought about trying sedation dentistry?
ReplyDeleteThat really sucks, Keri. Zach totally loves his dentist. He never pushes him and he explains to him everything he is doing before he does it and what the things do. You can bring her down here...!! At the very least - if they're going to just hold her down anyway, why not put her out..?
ReplyDeleteThat sucks! I was prob like Kenz too, and porb why mom never made me go back till I was in high school and could sort of maintain the chaos of what they were doing in my mouth! Hopefully you'll find a better dentist before she gets older like me! You are strong though!
ReplyDelete