I was washing my dishes just a little while ago and while I was washing I had this thought-what would the people from just a hundred or two hundred years ago think about my garbage disposal? They'd probably think it was awesome, was my first thought. Then I got to thinking a little more as I dumped plates full of food down this disposal. A disposal for perfectly good food, my kids just didn't finish their dinner. They'd probably be amazed and appalled that an invention of the sort every came about and that everybody thought it was such a good idea (because so much food is actually wasted). I don't exactly know what the conditions were like several hundred years ago but I imagine food was not ever discarded like it is today. If I was a farmer and I had to provide my own food for myself out of the ground I'd do everything in my power to preserve all of it and very carefully. Not any of it would go to waste. Now, today, I don't pull anything from the ground or process anything to it's eating form. I don't pit my own cherries, can beans, grind wheat, store my wheat, etc. So it is hard for me to appreciate how much I have. And it is easier to discard what I don't appreciate. It is amazing the things that have been invented today. A lot of things are presented to me that I never before had a knowledge of that suddenly become quite convenient and then before long a necessity. Would anyone buy a car that didn't have power steering? At one point this was just a handy convenience but now it is a necessity. Weird how that happens.
wait a sec... you eat your cherry pits?? haha just kidding - i know what you mean. we started a compost bin so at least when we throw food away it goes into that... now if we could just get a garden started to use all this compost we've got! but that's also probably why mom and dad always finished our food if we didn't... can't waste it you know... which isn't that great of an option either because then you end up eating more than you need and you end up unhealthly... which is another problem they didn't used to have because everyone used to be so physically active because there was no alternative to that either. We've lost the balance of life...
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean too! Since we have been griding our own wheat to make flour and make breads or whatever out it, I get a little more caerful about not wanting what I made out it to be wasted cuz of all the extra work that went into making the flour- so we are a little more careful at not wasting those those meals at least. but ya overall I think our society hasn't gotten so good about appreciating all these nice blessings we have!
ReplyDelete