How many years does an olympic swimmer train to perfection? I'm sure it is a lifetime pursuit. Some olympic athletes are born with amazing genes that allow them to perform beyond the abilities of the average person. Some train their entire lives, spending all their time effort, time, and energy being the best athlete in the world.
I have been recently wondering how long in time, energy, and effort would it take to make me an olympic mother. I feel like I put in long hours that go into late late nights. I have put many long days and I fully expect to spend the rest of my life being a mother and perfecting my skills. I do wish that I was one of those amazing women that was born with a gene that allowed me to perform above and beyond making me one of the best mothers in the world. However, qualties that have never been mine from the beginning are patience, nurturing, perceptiveness, and slow anger. Some day I hope though I will be able to claim those traits. One thing I am happy about is that I will have the rest of my life, even as my body ages and slows, my mind will always be able to expand and grow. My mothering can be sharpened long past the height of my health.
Is there a more noble pursuit that being a mother? Maybe so, but for me I would have to say no because there is no other pursuit that has brought greater struggle, pain, and hardship. What I become from being a mother (,and if I do it right,) what my children will become is the most noble pursuit of my life.
February fun......
14 years ago
Keri, You really are a good mom! I do know what you mean though, I think mom was born with those olympian genes. She just seemed to have a knack for it, which is somewhat disappointing, because she didn't pass those genes on to me! Dang.
ReplyDeleteYou really are a good mom! not to copy Ang, but it's true! What's the saying, practice makes perfect! and not that it's because I've gotten better, but having them in school helps, cuz you miss them when they're gone and love them all the more when they come home!
ReplyDeleteDitto! You are a good mom, I think you are doing super! And you don't have to be a great mom just for your own biological kids, I think you have a great mothering influnece in tons of other aspects to people in your ward, and our family!
ReplyDeleteThose are all God given qualities that we have been given. We just have to perfect them. We all have a long way to go. Isn't it great when we have our good days!
ReplyDeleteKeri. If there was an olympic mom! You would be IT! Serioously, you're the person we are all striving to be! You are amazing! I love hanging out with you! I love for my kids to be around your kids! You.are.that.mom.
ReplyDeleteHoly-touching-blog. I seriously teared up like 5 times while reading it. You are an AMAZING writer. Like really. Wow. You're such a great person Keri! I feel honored to know you guys and that we get to hang out with you! More than you probably know. You're the greatest! I love you!!!!